Pregnancy and Childbirth Support for the Emerging Family
"the day I gave birth to my daughter was one of the best days of my life. I felt loved, I felt, empowered, I felt satisfied. I had arrived into myself once again. I want to do what I can so that every new mom I work with feels her own innate power during birth and beyond."
---Arela Rivas, CD(DONA) (letters after name stand for Certified Doula-Doulas Of North America)
What is a birth doula?
A birth doula is a trained labor companion that offers continuous physical, emotional, and psychological support to the mother and her partner before, during, and and just after birth. Studies have shown that when doulas attend a birth, labors are shorter with fewer complications, cesarean rates are lower, and babies breastfeed more easily.
A birth doula:
- Recognizes birth as a key experience the mother will remember all her life
- Understands the physiology of birth and the emotional needs of a woman in labor
- Assists the woman in preparing for and carrying out her preferences during her birthing experience
- Stays with the woman throughout the labor
- Provides an objective viewpoint and obtains information the mother needs to make informed decisions
- Facilitates communication between the laboring woman, her partner, and her clinical care providers
- Perceives her role as nurturing and protecting the mother's memory of the birth experience
- Encourages the mother's partner to participate at their comfort level
A birth doula does not:
- Provide medical services, such as fetal heart tones or vaginal exams
- Speak on your behalf (she will facilitate communication but ultimately the last word begins and ends with the mother)
- Tell you what kind of birth you should have. You define your ideal birth experience.
Inviting Arela into your pregnancy includes:
- Two prenatal sessions (at the Blair County Acupuncture practice)
- One postpartum visit (at your home)
- Lending library of books, music, dvds
- Arela being on call for your labor beginning at 36 weeks gestation
- Continuous labor support as soon as you request until 2-3 hours after the birth
- 24/7 phone and email availability
- A detailed intention letter (contract)
Please click on the video tab in our main menu for a short informational video on doulas from DONA international.